Tuesday, April 15, 2008

NECRWA Conference

For my first conference, I couldn't have chosen a better conference to attend. The workshops applied to all genres: going deeper with point of view, setting as metaphor, weaving in backstory artfully, critiquing, the business of writing. The guest speakers were witty and insightful. Everyone was approachable. And meeting my friends? Well, that was worth every penny spent.

What I found at this conference was validation. To describe the validation in cliche: Writing is a lonely business. I can't think of a better way to describe it. Like all other writers, I pour my heart and soul onto the page and hope that someone will enjoy the words I've conjured into (hopefully) living, breathing characters. Publication is wonderful, as are critique groups, for making you feel like a real writer, but a conference makes you feel like you're part of the writing community.

More later. I still need to process all that I experienced! The fun with my friends, the professional input, the increased motivation...there's just too much to fit down in one post.

4 comments:

Madison Leigh said...

This weekend just kicked some writing butt! It sure did light a fire under my butt and got me moving again. (OK, I'll stop with the cliches now). It was just what I needed.

Jennifer said...

This weekend was awesome! I agree, it's hard to get all the wonderful aspects down in one shot.

It's just what I needed too.

Anonymous said...

I admire you all so much for getting up and going to the conference.

Chura

Madison Leigh said...

Even though we were a little late to breakfast...we DID get up!