Monday, May 26, 2008

Say It Again

I spent the week with my father. He was in the hospital, about half an hour from my home. In 2004 - he would have been 76 then - he needed a pacemaker. In December 2006, he needed a mechanical valve. This time, he needed an ICD, which is a pacemaker and a defibrillator.

Sure, he wasn't happy about being in the hospital. Who is? He was preoccupied with work even though he wasn't feeling good. He wanted to be home with his dog, Tasha. He was angry and frustrated part of the time.

But there were times when we talked to pass the time. He told stories and he laughed and he let the nurses and techs tease him. And there were times when we simply sat and didn't talk at all.

His heart was just too weak, though, and the congestive heart failure too strong. He died last night.

It's cliche, but I wish I could go back to my last conversation with him. He wanted to call his work crew and let them know he wouldn't have any jobs for them this coming week. I told him we could call them Sunday or Monday, but right then he needed to rest. I held his hand and tried to comfort him. But I wish I could have a do-over and say something different.

So I'm going to say it all now:
Thank you for being a loving father. Thank you for setting a good example of how a strong faith in God can help a person find peace and happiness in life and help them gain perspective and a healthy dose of humility. Thank you for telling me you love me, for believing in me and cheering me on, and for being my biggest fan. Thank you for wanting to be a part of my life. It's such a simple thing, to love another person, yet relationships can be complicated. With you, it's easy. Thank you for loving my husband. For loving my children. For admiring me for homeschooling. For allowing me to care for you when you're sick. I admire you, Dad, because you accept your faults and you forgive me for mine. I love your bad jokes. I love how you always sound so happy to see me or to hear my voice on the telephone. I appreciate that you respect me enough not to sugarcoat anything: your honesty shows how much you believe in my strength. I love you, Dad. I'll miss you so very much.

5 comments:

CJ said...

Darlin', it sounds to me like you had that conversation over the week you spent with him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

cjh

Anonymous said...

Nice job. You made me cry. I am so sorry about your dad and wish there was something I could do to help you.

Love you,

El

elysabeth said...

Jane,

I'm sorry to hear about your father passing away. You have had a lot of heartache this year. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family; and I agree with CJ, you spent the last week the way you knew how - sometimes words aren't needed. Your father is looking down on you now and is very proud of you.

Missing you online and chatting and all - hope you get to come back soon - E :)

Jennifer said...

You're in my thoughts and in my heart. I am so sorry for your loss and your heavy heart. I wish there was something I could do to help. Know that I am here for you. Love you much! Jen

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

Thank you - everyone - for your condolences. I received many personal messages and I am overwhelmed from the caring and concern you have all shown. I am thankful to have such wonderful friends! Losing a loved one is never easy, and the stories that many of you related to me touched my heart. Thank you for sharing and for helping me see that the best part of life is love. Your messages and stories have helped me focus on the gift of the love I shared with my father.