Thursday, June 28, 2007

Point of View

What's your favorite viewpoint as a reader? Do you prefer first person ("My knees shook as I stood to ask the group a question") or third ("Janelle tried to hide her nervousness when she stood to ask the group a question")?

I prefer to write in third, but for some stories - no, some characters - first is the only way to capture the voice. This presents a challenge to me as a writer; I am limited in how much I can show the reader about what is going on with other characters. Alternating first person viewpoints can be done, but I've only read a handful of books with an alternating first where the author employed the technique well. One such example was a novella where the chapters alternated between the husband and the wife from a first person perspective.

No matter if it's in first or third, nothing frustrates me more as a reader than when an author alternates viewpoint and goes back to show me events I've already read about but from a different character's perspective. It's fine if the author moves the story along and reveals the different perspective of past events in context of the story as it progresses, but please don't backtrack!

I suppose these are the reasons why my favorite point of view to write from, and to read from, is third. Sure, third doesn't allow the reader/writer to get as close to the character as first, but it allows the author to move around, zoom in, zoom out, and even alternate characters without jarring the reader.

But first person sure can be fun to write!

7 comments:

elysabeth said...

Interesting post - I just reviewed a YA (Stuck in the 70s) that was written in alternating 1st - and I thought the author did a pretty good job of this. I was disappointed in the ending in that the character's history was altered and she no longer existed in 2006 from where she came - but the writing overall worked for both characters.

I think overall we prefer to read 3rd - because like you said - it allows us to see many different aspects without being pulled out o the story.

I've read a couple of stories that were written in 1st present and they didn't work for me - I could have dealt with 1st past but not present. No story is so needing to be in the present tense because it gets confusing (and I'd also heard that every story has already been told at some point in time so everything has happened and thereby no need to put us in the present tense, trying to make us feel as if we are experiencing the story as it is happening - it doesn't work. But if you can suggest a story written in 1st present that works, I'll be happy to read it. --- I know not POV but a tense issue but they are kind of connected).

I like writing 1st person - and have had to recently switch to writing 3rd, much harder for me to do but I've done it.

I think I prefer to read in 3rd but write in 1st - so I'm a lughead - lol - can't make up mind - but as a reader, I'd definitely say 3rd - E :)

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

I think writing in first person SEEMS easier - at first. But then a writer is faced with how to convey the subplots without the main character's knowledge! Tricky.

Thank you for the response, E. Sounds like there are more than a handful of good alternating firsts out there. Despite the ending. I was referring to style, not plot.

I shudder to think of attempting first person in the present tense! Ack! Who would want to read that? That would be like, "I am walking into a store. I see a cat in the store and I wonder what the cat is doing here." Weird. Fine for a spec fec short story, but not an entire novel!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Almost all my favorite books are in 3rd person. I think my biggest problem with 1st is that I really have to like the character for it to work for something as long as a novel. I don't with 3rd, even if it's a close third, and even if there's only one POV... but 1st? I can't get away from them. If I find them annoying then I find the book annoying.

I rarely write anything in 1st person, though occasionally I'll get a character who works better that way. Still not sure if I can pull it off over a whole novel, though :)

CJ said...

It's been my experience that a character will speak in whatever voice they want to speak in. They're just pushy that way.

However, I, personally, have problems keeping my POV's on track when I write 3rd person. I feel I do much better with 1st. However, I've managed to write a couple of novellas in 3rd that I think I did okay with.

As for 1st person, present - I recently read a book written that way. It was jarring at times, but not enough to make me stop or to keep me from reading more of the series. I can recommend "Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt as a decent example.

cjh

Melanie said...

I think I like to read thrid person for the most part. BUT there are some 1st person stories that I really really love. When I write contemproary stories, I usually write them in 1st person. I find that I enjoy the challenge of getting all the info in there without messing up the POV stuff. And I really like writing in the voices of my characters. It's just fun. Sometimes, if I'm stuck, I will actually do this for a while, even in a story that should be third, just to give me a jump start, and then I go back and fix it afterwards.

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

Great idea! I hear my characters in first person - usually. There are some characters I can only hear in conversation with others. I think your trick of switching to first will come in handy! Thanks :)