Monday, January 28, 2008

Confessions of a writer-in-progress

I have all these writerly thoughts swimming around my head. Character development. Story arc. Character goals. And every night I go to bed with one particular thought on my mind: Who killed Humbert Watson?

I've written this story once. It didn't work. I'm writing it again and I still don't know who killed Humbert Watson and why.

But I'm okay with that.

This story has evolved. The characters have evolved because I've let them evolve. That doesn't mean that what I'm writing now will end up in the final draft: it means I can explore the possibilities and let the characters lead the way. Sometimes that means I write a scene that has to be tossed. I've got plenty of those! But sometimes I stumble upon the direction the story needs to go, and that's exciting.

It's why I started writing, and why I love the craft.

2 comments:

CJ said...

Don't you love it when the characters do that? I swear I don't write so much as channel the characters. Good luck figuring it out!

cjh

Madison Leigh said...

Oh, JD, I know who did it. But I won't tell here.