Friday, February 6, 2009

Introducing Jane Latta

I've had so much fun as Janelle Dakota: short story contests, web classes, online buddies, two novels - each revised thrice. So many great scenes and wonderful characters! I've had publications with Echelon Press and an honorable mention from Lunch Hour Stories. All very much fun and the bonus is these experiences provided the necessary professional growth.

But...


My muse threw me a curve ball and it made me stop and think. When a voice in your head screams, "Yoohoo! Wrong genre!" you tend to listen, or at least give the declaration a few minutes' consideration. Which is why I'm switching to YA.


Viewed in the YA light, I can see the element that was dangling just out of reach in my two novels, and this excites me. I can't begin to tell you how many hundreds of pages I've written with these characters, trying to make them fit the wrong mold!


That was step one. Step two involved a bit of emotional healing and personal growth. My parents were both proud of my writing and they believed in me. It is in honor of them that I renounce my pseudonym and embrace my given name.



Check out at my new blog:

http://janelatta.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Rain-drop said...

Dear Janelle,

Congratulations on walking this new path of self-discovery and truth. I am very happy for you.

It is really something special when you reach a spot in the life journey and say, "Oh, that's where I am meant to be." I am glad that you have found that new fork in the road, good for you!

As someone who has lost a parent, was encouraged in my writing passion by that parent, and is driven forward by my love for that parent, I am so happy to hear, you are now writing with your given birth name. That is just wonderful.

I shall check out your new blog.