Friday, April 6, 2007

From breakthrough to setback

Tendonitis in the wrist has a way of hampering noveling progress. Could there be a better form of torture for a writer than the physical impairment of her writing hand, especially when the story is flowing?

Due to the inability to type, I have been spending mental time with my characters as I go about the necessary tasks for remodeling preparation. I think brainstorming and daydreaming are vital to my writing: without them, I don't have the zest for the story or the infatuation with the characters. Sorting and classifying household items that I haven't used in a decade is a good exercise for pondering plot lines and character sketches, story arcs and titles. The beautiful 70+ degree weather we've had here in the Seattle area the past two days has made the task of culling the useless accumulation in my garage much more bearable, but I admit to wishing we were out enjoying the day at a park or the beach. And speaking of beaches...

Our passports arrived and I am waiting to hear from my mother on the date of her upcoming surgery. A trip to Mexico is not far off. Undoubtedly, I will be taking my laptop, hoping to find some quiet moments while I'm away to write the scenes I've been daydreaming about, though my experience has been that if I'm not writing daily at home, I won't be writing daily away from home.

Still ruminating on a title, as well. For now it is still Falling Short.

2 comments:

elysabeth said...

I feel your pain. Hailie has been diagnosed with tendonitis in her nondominant hand, so she's lucky for that. But she complains occasionally and puts the splint on and then gets frustrated because she can't do much with a splinted hand. I'm worried when she goes out for colorguard that she will be aggravating it as well as her shoulder (which is tuba injured - lol) - but only time will tell.

I'll pray for a speedy recovery for your mother and that her surgery goes well. I'll miss you when you go to Mexico - who am I going to brainstorm with on my short stories? - hopefully you won't be gone too long and your laptop will afford you the wireless connection and that you can chat every once in a while - E :)

Cidermaker said...

Have you got voice controlled word-processing software. Not that good for story writing, unless you're very good at dictating, but useful for notes, story-lines and charcter building. Anyway, I hope the tendonitis gets better soon.
Hope everything goes well for you mother. I'll be thinking of you.
Clive