Thursday, September 20, 2007

No writing today. Or yesterday.

The water pump on my van broke yesterday, which caused the car to run out of water and overheat. Thankfully, it happened close enough to home that I didn't burn up the engine. While I was contacting my mechanic, I spent 4 hours on the phone with my ISP and the manufacturer of my wireless router because we couldn't get online. According to said personnel, both our modem AND our router quit working! Limped the van over to the mechanic and while my van was being fixed, I borrowed my mechanic's car and bought a new router/modem combo, which was hard to find because I'm on DSL, not broadband. Over $100 at Best Buy, but hey, it's Internet access we're talking about here.

The new router/modem would have fixed the problem. If my keyboard for the desktop hadn't chosen that moment to die. To further aggravate matters, my debit card was declined because the equipment rental company charged me for equipment that we still have in use for our remodel and, not being able to go online, I wasn't able to transfer funds to cover it.

As soon as my son was off to school this morning, I went to Staples and bought a new keyboard and saw that the price on the router/modem combo was $20 less. I hadn't even opened the box from Best Buy yet. Plus, with my contract discount through my husband's business, I was able to buy a cordless keyboard PLUS the router/modem for $10 more than I bought just the router/modem at Best Buy. Cool beans, right?

I got it all hooked up. It worked great. Got my funds transfer done. Problem solved. Or so you would think.

And then I noticed the router/modem from Staples wasn't wireless. Grrrrr!

Got the router/modem switched out with the wireless one, then spent all day on the phone with the router manufacturer, my ISP, and the print server manufacturer. Returned the non-wireless router to Staples. Everything is up and running, but the signal is weak on the wireless, rendering it practically useless.

Comcast, here we come.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

LOL we have DSL and for a moment, I was wondering, "Why don't we have a cable modem, is there something wrong with cable?" because, of course, being married to a computer guru, we have to have whatever "the best available" is. THen the answer came to me--we don't have cable! And according to the cable company, we can't get the cable modem without a cable tv package. Well, I'm not about to get cable tv, sorry. But really, you should have a stronger wireless signal; if you don't get good "reception" within 50 ft, i would say bring the thing back and shove it up their nose. Exchange for another one.

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

It was the ONLY one available for DSL. There are literally no other options unless I know what I'm looking for and can go online and buy it. Key words: if I know what I'm looking for.