Thursday, December 4, 2008

Don't say nothin at all

Remember Thumper? If you can't say something nice...

That's why I haven't been updating my blog. I realized today that I didn't want to post anything negative on my blog, and with the stuff that's been happening in my life lately, I honestly couldn't think of anything positive to say.

I was driving at the time and the thought had such a profound affect on me that I almost slammed on the brakes.

Bad things happen all the time. We are all surrounded by negativity, stress, unpleasantness. The only control we have over the negativity is how we allow it to impact our lives, right?

But heck I wouldn't even torture my characters the way I've been tortured this year! The deaths of pets, friends and family; a devastating loss of income; head-to-toe hives...? First of all, no one would believe my life in story form if I even had the desire to write it, which I don't. Second, the melodrama is just too far-fetched. Third -- oh, wait; I had a point to this rant.

For one week, I'm going to post a "positive" thing that happened during each day. A good thought. A kind word. A small accomplishment. Something uplifting that stands out from the rest of the day. Then I'm going to see if the act of shifting focus has an impact on my life. I don't expect my perspective to banish the bad, but perhaps it will turn my health around. It certainly can't hurt. And if it makes the spots go away, I'll be very happy.

Let's see...today...

One thing that stands out from the day is hugging my sister, because she needed it - and the wonderful feeling that a hug from me means a lot to her and vice versa.

3 comments:

CJ said...

What a wonderful idea, Janelle. We could all benefit from a bit of concentrating on the good in our lives, can't we?

You're definitely on that list, btw. Thanks for being an inspiration.

cjh

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

I can - and do - say the same thing about you ;)

Give Riley a pat for me!

Internet friends we've never met and the dogs who belong to them: 2 things we can put in the "good" column.

elysabeth said...

I hadn't checked your blog out in a while and decided to pop over today for a quick look to see if you had posted anything and lo and behold, you have several postings. Funny thing is in the 6th grade class I'm visiting via Smartboards and Google Talk, the teacher is having us doing a writing project for the month and one of the things we have to write is a letter to Santa. You were mentioned in my letter (posted on my http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com). And then I come here and you are doing the good thoughts postings.

Funny how a hug from a family or friend can make the bad things disappear for a while. Hugs are great.

I've missed our chats but do understand. You are still in my thoughts and prayers.

(I don't know about the pay cut, the hives or anything else because I feel like we have drifted but through it all, you will make it and you will be stronger for it. Hang in there - next year is definitely going to be better for everyone - see you in the postings - E :0