Friday, March 2, 2007

Short stories

It isn't long before the writer, having poured her heart and soul into the width and depth of a novel, is craving simplicity. All it usually takes is a hiccup in the noveling progress.

I've had a severe, recurring case of the hiccups since I began this novel in October.

Perfect solution: the short story! Here, I can visualize beginning, middle, and end. There are no tricky sub-plots to work in, no minor characters coming to steal the limelight, no derailment of the major conflict. I am in love with my work: here, I can write, frenzied, and see the immediate results! All works toward a climax, building and exposing, focused and determined.

But then I am done and I'm not in love anymore. It was a tawdry affair, a one-night stand. The limits of the short story don't allow for the pull and purpose of my novel. Suddenly, my novel is more meaningful.

3 comments:

maryk said...

Wow! This is cool, I love the way you write. Your use of words has a good flow to it. Stick with it, you'll make it.

elysabeth said...

if only they knew what I've seen you through the last few months - lmao - but yes you do have a way with words - E :)

Anonymous said...

Oh good, I can comment now.

Just to say something vaguely on the subject, I wish I liked to write short stories more.