Sunday, October 21, 2007

A modern writer's lifeline

A bit of an absence there. Sorry.

Remember the troubles I'd had on my laptop? They got worse. I got the blue screen of death - more than once - and my confidence in its ability to retain what I'd written was shaken. Modern writers depend upon computers. And thumbdrives. And notebooks filled with random thoughts. But it was simply unforgiveable for my laptop to let me down that way.

After the breakup with my Dell, I found new love with this zippy little HP. We're getting better acquainted (read: Vista is a new experience) and I must say that all my files look so sparklingly new here! It's rather inspiring.

I haven't written one word on my novel in almost two weeks and now I'm eager to get back to it. I actually had a dream about my characters last night. Get this: they were in my house! Dogsitting of all things! It was a clear sign that I need to get back to writing. Or that I need to arrange for care for my old Sadie-dog while I'm away to see my mother in November.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's an invention that the world really needs: imagined characters we can trust enough to let them house-sit with out pets.

What a Vista feature that would make! Whip up a character, hit the reality button, and presto, you've got a dog walker.

Chura

elysabeth said...

lol - at Chura's reply - Seriously - you can't go to Mexico in November though - that's NaNo -but if you go, I hope you have time to do some writing and make some big dents on your story. But it's only five days right, plus travel time and to account for jet lag, hummmm now you are talking at least a full week of NaNo time taken away from the novel. But alas, you will figure it out. I've missed you.

I like the idea Chura suggests - type up the perfect character with minor flaws but not so noticeable that we couldn't live with them and boom hit reality button and there they are ready to do what we need them to do. Sadie will miss you while you are gone. Are the kids going with? Vern? - anyway - talk to you later - got to try to get some work done - E :)

Cidermaker said...

Are you cloud computing yet? I save things into Google.docs so that they are accessible anywhere and I don't lose them; as I have a habit of doing with flash drives!!

C x

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

Vista the dog sitter! Great idea. I bet that's next on Bill's list of things Microsoft can do for you :)

I'll be going to Mexico solo and taking my laptop with me. Hoping to work in some NaNo writing time. Our afternoons in Mexico are generally lazy because of the heat. I won't mind writing away the afternoons in Mom's air-conditioned house.

Hmmm. I don't know if I've tried cloud computing yet. I've used secure servers over the years, but not Google.

Anonymous said...

Tell Vern happy birthday (Sunday the 21st). Richardo and I hope it was happy. Think you could write up someone to take care of the horses? Maybe I could use the Genie that I wrote about in the last writing exercise you through at me. She seemed kind of sensible..... Hugs. El

Melanie said...

I hope Mexico goes well, I wish you and yours the best!

Cam swears by Google.docs, and I've used it as well. It's very handy. One really cool feature: When he was writing his resume, we could both edit it at the same time, and you could instantly see the changes the other person made.

Vista. PAH!

I wouldn't worry about NaNo. You're always ahead anyway. You can afford to take the time. Family is more important anyway, right? Give Sadie a hug for me...I've been dogless for so long, and will be for a long while more!

Cheers to house-sitting characters!!

mel