Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A productive detour

I worked on the 500-word version of "The Painting" yesterday. What I found the most challenging was retaining the story, keeping the descriptive element, and providing tension, all within the 500 word constriction. I hope I've told a story beyond the words on the page. We'll see. Now it has to sit for a while before I do anything else with it, plus I'm awaiting feedback from my WIP group.

Goal for today since I spent yesterday working on a short story: 1500 words. I'll come back later to report my progress.

***

I did not meet my goal. I actually slid further behind because I edited the first three chapters. I rearranged a bit, deleted a paragraph or two, and wow! Did that make a difference. Now I'm ready to move on with confidence.

So I came up with a fantasy writing routine:
  • 3-4 days novel writing
  • 1-2 days short story writing/review/revision
  • 1 day novel review and revise (previous 3-4 days' worth)
  • 3-4 days novel writing
  • 1-2 days short story writing/review/revision
  • 1 day novel review and revise, etc.
That sounds like a perfect schedule to me. I wonder if I can make that work, even if only for a little while.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey, making routines is always good, even if it is just to give you a realistic look at how much time you have, or how long you can possibly work on something, etc. The best thing: when you can actually stick to it; the worst thing: when, if you can't stick to it, you get totally depressed. Don't let that happen to you. Change is a part of life, from one day to the next. If something happens and you can't get what you wanted to get done done on a certain day, just go on to the next day like you ordinarily would have done. Don't try to catch up, that's when we get the illusion of getting all bogged down.

Melanie

elysabeth said...

I have to agree with Melanie there - don't fret that you didn't accomplish what you expected to because life happens. If you work it one day at a time and set realistic goals per day you will be better off.

I'm one to talk - I can't even get myself organized or motivated to do any writing or work on anything, let alone accomplish anything so I can't give you much advice on your schedule. Hope it works out for you and I'll cheer you on however it works - you know that - E :)

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

I've printed off friend Chura's wise words that she passed along from one of the instructors she had. Be productive every day - show up and do something that takes you a step forward. Then she went on to say some days, something productive means taking a walk and letting ideas grow, or cleaning off your desk. It adds a whole new spin to writing every day, because as she says, it's not possible to create something every day. Especially if we don't feed the muse.