Friday, October 26, 2007

Oops

This morning I tossed a cup of coffee onto my new laptop. It immediately shut down and no amount of CPR from the Geek Squad would bring it back to life. It happened so quickly, but there was a moment that, in retropsect, seemed suspended in mid-motion, like a stop-action television commercial: The telephone rings, my hand reaches for it, the coffee tips. If only I could have that moment back! Thankfully, I invested in a protection plan which, evidently, guards against stupidity. I have a new laptop just like the old. My daughter and I christened (sorry, yes, the pun was intended) the ruined laptop as he went off to the computer graveyard. His name was Happy. I am writing to you now from Happy Too.

Besides Happy and my pride, I lost all my emails and the writing I did on Wednesday. The rest of my documents are scattered about on thumb drives. If I had saved Wednesdays work.... Ah, well, no use crying over spilt coffee.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

"no use crying over split coffee"

What?!?!?! That stuff is expensive! And...and...it's COFFEE!!!

Now, now. I don't think it would be stupidity causing the coffee spillage. Maybe...nutso, i can't think of the word. You know, like not being very observant. the phone rings, and you were focused on that and nothing else. Hey, ADHD!

Melanie said...

INATTENTIVE!! that's the word!! I swear, sometimes I can be such a moron....

CJ said...

Oh no!!

That's one of my worst nightmares!

I'm glad you were smart enough to get the extra protection plan. Sometimes it pays to be smart!

cjh

Cidermaker said...

Given the problems you've been having with your laptop that sounds like a Freudian slip!!!!!