Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Word count, narrators, NaNo, friends

Final word count of the day: 9314

I think my last word count was around 8500. So it wasn't a great day, but not a bad day, either. To be writing at all felt like a major accomplishment, but once I got rolling, it was easy and fun. I'm still toying with the narrator and the tone and pacing of the opening chapters. By NaNo in November, I should have at least 10,000 words. Assuming the 10,000, my NaNo goal would then become 60,000 in order to make the 50,000 word minimum. However, I hope to have 80,000 words by the end of November, the last two being The End.

Haven't worked on The Painting in a while and I'm okay with that. I'm letting the feedback settle in around me, digesting it, deciding what I want to do with the story. I respect the feedback I receive and like to give it the deliberation it deserves, even if I don't always use it.

I had one of those long talks last night with a friend I've known practically my entire life. We haven't actually seen each other in years, but lately we've had reason to talk on the phone a few times a month. Our spirits are connected (seriously - I'm not kidding) so we can chat comfortably any time at all, even if it's been months since we last talked. But I'd really like to make the time to see her soon. Ellie helps me see myself. I don't know why, but she does. Sometimes I miss my horse days because we were together often - riding, sharing tack, having a beer after a hot day at the stables. Funny thing is, our relationship has been seasoned by experiences, both mutual and individual, and yet here we are, still connecting through it all.

Just thought I'd share that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. You know that know matter how far our lives diverge from one another, we still are so very much alike in some ways that we will always be friends. I think the sames things are important to us and we share so many of the same feelings about things. I have always felt completely connected to you. Weird how we both wrote about friendship at the same time. :) I would say that we are very spiritually connected. I absolutely love our talks and can't believe that we went for quite a stretch there without talking much. We HAVE to change the thing about not seeing each other. We are both at least somewhat stable healthwise though really busy. :) Thanks for you kind works on the Genie writing asignment!
Love you.

El

Melanie said...

That's great that you have a friend like this!