Wednesday, October 31, 2007

November = NaNoWriMo

It's NaNoWriMo time again! 30 days of writing until my eyelids feel like sandpaper, my butt goes numb, my fingers cramp up, my back and neck ache, and my family wears dirty underwear. (I swear, no amount of laundry piled in the halls will compel any member of this household besides myself to run a load. They'd as soon wear stinky clothes than wash and fold.)

Of course, I'm going into National Novel Writing Month with a backlog of work to be done on a handful of short stories. What else is new? I have this insane optimism that I'll be able to fire off my NaNo daily word quota and then spend the rest of the day polishing my short stories. Please don't burst my bubble. I'm a professional writer, after all. I work best when I'm up against a deadline.

Quit laughing, Mel.

Okay, so now that Happy, Too and I are acquainted, I have had a quarrel with my ISP. I am going public with my rant. VERIZON DSL SUCKS! How's that for eloquence in writing? The basic problem is that my Internet access is spotty. My husband has threatened to go broadband and I've been encouraging him to follow through on his threat. Really, Verizon has done nothing to help. They refuse to send out a technician to check the service, although my IT-wise friend said that is the problem. Verizon says I don't have a Verizon-approved modem/router and therefore they swear it isn't configured properly. I don't know enough about IT to argue properly, but it would seem to me that if the modem/router combo was at fault, it wouldn't work at all, would it? They claim it doesn't have the right setting in order to communicate with Verizon. So why does it communicate sometimes and not others?

And these machines are supposed to make our lives easier!

On the positive, compared to computer problems, writing a story is easy.

2 comments:

elysabeth said...

Good luck with the NaNo stuff - Ragal started her story last night (well 1 a.m. my time which was midnight her time) and got 800 words in - so not a bad start for about 30-40 minutes worth of writing but she already has some twists in it and that's a good thing.

I still don't have a clue what to write about or what direction to take these state stories - if they even happen - may switch over and do a ghost story of some sort although without a character, a setting or a feel for anything - the story won't get written - I have a combined sisters in crime/writing group meeting tonight so maybe something will come to me by time I get home and I can start then - I hope - lol - anyway - catch you soon - good luck with switching over the modem thing (and yeah it really does suck that Verizon won't even come check out the lines or the connections or anything - you are paying for the service and can't even get someone out there - I'm glad it's not me because I would be having heads rolling due to their screw up) - okay - going to work some and shower and then hit the free clinic and get that work done and then go to meeting - talk later - E :)

Melanie said...

OK, I won't laugh. If it makes you feel better, I have four short stories I was supposed to have done something with by Nov. 1st. I've extended my deadline to Dec. 31. The sad part is that the stories are done, it's just the marketing research that's getting bogged. Where oh where to send them... I have it narrowed down to five per story, but I have to write the old personalized cover letter for each. I don't have to tell you how much I hate cover letters.