Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Back home

After a week in Mexico, reality hit before the wheels of the jet touched down at SeaTac. My word count is depressingly low. In order to hit my initial goal of 80,000 words by November 30th, I need to write 6,400 words per day from here on out. (Insert hysterical laughter.)

I think it's time to redefine my goals.

I started the day wondering why I even thought I should write this novel in the first place. I ended it by recalling the fact that I am a writer and I love these characters.

So what if I didn't get any writing done in Mexico? So what if I'm behind on my NaNo word count? Tomorrow I'm going to dive right back in.

Tonight, my nine year old daughter is teaching me how to make a slideshow of my Mexico pics to post on my blog.

3 comments:

elysabeth said...

It's your novel and you are the only one who can tell the story. Keep at it and eventually it will come full circle - from those snippits in your head, to getting to know the characters and then telling their story and having othes come to know and love your characters.

I can't wait to see the slide show - so excited about that. Am glad you are back and reassessing and making progress - keep on keeping on. See you in the postings - E :)

CJ said...

There's something a tad bit alarming about the fact that the 9 year olds of the world know how to do things us older folks are completely clueless on.

*sigh*

I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful!

cjh

Melanie said...

Darling, you know why you are writing this novel. You know why you SHOULD write this novel. Because it comes from you, because you are pouring your guts out into your computer and forming words out of them. Soon, the words make a story. And the story is you, only in a new form. And smelling a little bit like old coffee, but that's besides the point. Your novel is like your child. Sometimes, you have moments. "boy, I must have been out of my mind!" or "My lord, I've really screwed you up, haven't I?" or "Boy, I am SO not cut out to do this." or "Dammit, I knew I never should have let Michael Jackson babysit for you!" But in your heart, you realize you need to do this, because no one else can. No one knows your child like you do. You can't give up on them, you can't walk away. Well, I guess you could. But YOU wouldn't because you're a good mom, right? And I'm sure your kids will forgive you someday for that Neverland Ranch thing.

Look at the great thing you've accomplished in the past week, in terms of your life. Do you honestly think that that will have no bearing on your novel? And do you really think that your novel has truly SUFFERED for you having that week? It's what the words make that matters, not the number of them. I believe that you've accomplished more than you think you have over this month, only you haven't seen the concrete evidence of it yet. Just wait. It'll come. You have to live if you are to write. Otherwise, there wouldn't be anything to write about!