Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Middles

Conference Fund: $165

House: a total disaster. I struggled to keep up with homeschooling, errands, music lessons, writing...so the house suffers. My loving husband picked up dinner, bless his heart.

NaNo Word Count: 15,811

Not spectacular progress, but I worked on a short story submission today as well. It seemed to take me all day to write a dedication and a bio, and make a few small (we're talking one word here and there) changes to the short story. The story has been submitted. I'm done. Woohoo!

The slow progress on NaNo isn't bothering me too much. I like the structure of what I have so far, which cannot be said for previous years and the blustering cacophony of words that poured forth. I've been keeping a chapter outline as I write - about a paragraph describing each chapter. I think the next order of business will be reviewing that outline and deciding what needs to be set up next or if I've missed setting something up. It's important for me to weave in all the threads of the story within the first 20,000 words or so. That way I won't run into any of those, "oops, shoulda mentioned that sooner" kind of surprises in the busy, bulky middle.

I love and hate writing the middle chapters, so I approach this 4th rewrite with a small amount of trepidation. The middle is the best part of a novel (who doesn't love being in the middle of a thoroughly engrossing read?) and it can be so much fun to write, but it's also tricky and sometimes exasperating. In my first completed novel, Among Friends, the middle was confusing and muddled. In my second, not-completed novel, The Art of Deception, I seem to have lost a few threads along the way. I never got to the end because I simply got lost in the plot.

So this middle, which I have written three times so far, should be a piece of cake, right? What I noticed from my last version is that it's too easy for me, as a writer, to interfere and manipulate when I know what's coming next, but as a reader, I hate it when I notice the author manipulating the characters. It kills the momentum of the story. This time, I have to find balance: rising conflict, continuing story goal, and a reason for the reader to actually care what's going to happen.

I might spend a bit of time tomorrow reviewing character goals and story goals, too.

Can you tell I suddenly have mixed feelings? I started this post off saying I was feeling good about my progress, and now I'm thinking I should re-examine the entire concept of the story. Argh! I love writing. Really, I do.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Your post echoes everything I've been feeling for the past couple days...ugh.

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

LOL yep we've hit week two :)

CJ said...

A chapter outline? Hmmmm. That might not be a bad idea. I don't outline and I tend to lose track of subplot or two. This chapter thing might be the solution.

Do you care if I borrow it?

cjh

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

Go for it, CJ. I don't like outlines, either. Keeping the chapter outline helps me see what I've set up where and reminds me to get back to the subplots.

Cidermaker said...

Remember Jane, NaNo is all!!!
;0)
Clive