Friday, November 30, 2007

The Last Day

I started this month with grand ambitions. I didn't meet my goal. At this stage, I could offer up excuses to myself but I won't because of the most important thing I did this month was make progress. I completed 10 chapters of my novel that need very little editing.

This has been a very full month:

  • The first week of the month I submitted a short story to an anthology.
  • Last week I submitted a short story to a contest.
  • I spent a week with my mom.
  • We got our long-awaited building permit for the addition to our home (yes, we put the cart before the horse)
  • and somewhere in there was all that family stuff, like homeschooling lessons, attending classes, Thanksgiving, etc.

My son turns 13 tomorrow. Wow. Allow me to just stop and think about that for a minute....

Yeah, I can't get my mind around that concept, so, moving on...

I'm disappointed that I didn't get to "win" NaNo and cross that 50K finish line, especially having started off with so many words. But I'm also happy that I don't have another 50K+ word story that needs serious editing. NaNo is fun. It's a rush. But I already know I can produce enough words that, fully assembled, resembles a novel. The question is, can I write a novel-length story that will sell? I think I can, and I'm working hard to make Falling Short the best it can be.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

See, when I do nano, I always end up with 50k words that DON"T resemble a novel. so I actually quite prefer this way of being productive without being counter-productive at the same time.

Wow, we both gave our blogs face-lifts in the past couple days!

elysabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janelle Dakota's blog said...

Seeing the changes to your blog is what inspired me to change mine. I'm a copycat :)

Melanie said...

Oh, really? I feel so special now :). I wasn't sure who was the first, you or me. But it was funny when I went onto your blog, I had to do a double take, just because I had just re-decorated myself!